The Thoughts and Poetry of Glenn Ervin

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Zommies

I was talking with my five-year-old middle granddaughter Jordan not long ago, and, as usually is the case in any conversation with Jordan, our dialogue took an interesting turn. Jordan wanted to talk about zommies. Now, it was around the Halloween season and with all of the current fascination that is focused on zombies, vampires, werewolves and the like, I wasn't too surprised at her topic of conversation and readily pursued it.
"What are zommies?" I wanted to know. "they're munsters" Jordan informed me. "Well, what do zommies do?" "They eat your brain" she answered matter-of-factly, then hastened to add, "but they're not real."
I decided to press the issue just a little farther, you know, just to see where it would go. After all, it isn't every day that one gets to discuss zommies. "You know," I continued, "When I was a little boy we used to eat pig brains mixed in scrambled eggs. Would you like to try some pig brains?" She was riding in the back seat, so I couldn't see the look on her face, but I sure heard it in her voice when she replied, "Papa...that's distusting!" Bear in mind that we had just been talking about zommies eating brains, but even at five she was able to discern between a fictional zommie and actually having pork brains and eggs for breakfast.
You know, Jordan, when I think about it...well I guess pork brains are kind of distusting at that. I think I'll stick with the make believe zommies myself.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I love my Jordan. You should see the "zommies" on my fridge right now...

    ReplyDelete